There’s nothing like a hot bowl of soup to warm you up on a cold day. Here are some ideas for your next coup.
1. Chicken Noodle Soup: All you need is some chicken stock, your favorite vegetables cut in small pieces, fully-cooked chicken chopped into small pieces and some noodles. Try our chicken noodle soup recipe.
2. Chicken Rice Soup: Much like chicken noodle soup, use rice instead of noodles. You can add rice to your broth as you cook the soup, but be careful not to overcook it, or it will be soggy.
3. Beef and Barley Soup: A hearty old favorite, beef and barley soup is made with chopped roast beef, chopped canned tomatoes, finely chop carrots and onions and beef broth.
4. Beef Ramen: Add some sliced and fully cooked beef and vegetables to your ramen noodles. It brings a whole new sophistication to Mr. Noodle!
5. Crab Bisque: A creamy soup, it’s heartwarming on a cold day. Serve it with some bread and a salad and you’ve got a complete meal. Use homemade shellfish stock for extra fresh flavor.
6. Lobster Bisque: Pretty much like crab bisque, but with lobster. Serve in a sourdough bread bowl and enjoy.
7. Corn Chowder: This thick and hearty soup can be made completely meatless by skipping the bacon that is usually added. Make it with corn kernels, potatoes, onions, carrots and cream.
8. Cream of Leek and Potato Soup: This is a simple and tasty soup made with leeks, potatoes, onions and cream. It can be cooked on the stove or in a slow cooker and pureed with a hand blender when done.
9. Cream of Mushroom Soup: Fresh mushrooms make all the difference in cream of mushroom soup. It’s traditionally made with cream and chicken stock, but you can use a vegetable stock if you prefer your soup to be meatless.
10. Egg Drop Soup: This simple traditional Chinese soup is made with chicken broth, chives and ginger. Egg is drizzled in slowly and then the broth is thickened with cornstarch.
11. Split Pea Soup with Ham: A soup made with split peas, onions, leeks and carrots is pureed and then small bits of ham are added. Serve with homemade croutons for some added crunch.
12. Lentil Soup: Hearty and full of dietary fiber and folate, this soup is a healthy addition to a meal. You can make lentil soup in a variety of ways, but you can’t go wrong with carrots, onions, tomatoes and garlic.
13. Minestrone Soup: This Italian soup is usually made with a variety of vegetables, stewed tomatoes and pasta. Chicken stock is often used, but you can easily substitute it with vegetable stock, if you prefer.
14. Miso Soup: If you’ve ever had miso soup in a Japanese restaurant, you’ll know it’s a flavorful broth with simple ingredients like seaweed and tofu. The broth is made with dashi stock and miso paste. You can make heartier versions from home by adding extra vegetables if you’d like.