Working a 9-to-5 job is a necessity for most adults. Then there’s the commute to get to and from work. When you get home, you have to prepare meals, help children with schoolwork, and you may be able to relax for a few minutes before going to bed to start the whole process all over again. If both spouses work, it’s important to make weekends all about the family so you can stay connected.
You don’t have to make a big deal out of the weekends in order to concentrate on your family. In fact, there are many things you can do at home that can help you connect with your family and stay within your budget.
* Plan a game day. Drag out the board games you used to enjoy. If all of the games you have are old, for very young players, or missing pieces, consider spending a little bit each week to restock your games. Find something that everyone can enjoy. Games like Clue, Monopoly, and Uno are family favorites all over the United States. Newer games like Cranium are also fun for families.
* Watch movies. Head to the video rental store and see if you can find some newer movies to watch. New movies come out once a week, so if you can’t find one this week, you may be able to next week. Pop a big bowl of popcorn, get some drinks, and enjoy a night of movies. Be sure to get something everyone can agree on so there isn’t any fussing.
* Seek out culture. Local colleges usually have a fine arts department. Check with them to see if they have any concerts, theater productions, or art shows open to the public. Not only will you provide your children with a cultural experience, you’ll be supporting your community.
* The play’s the thing. Help your family write and act out a short play. You may even want to plan an afternoon where you can invite friends and family to come watch. Make a day of it with food, games, and your performance. It’s sure to be fun for all involved.
* Go for a nature hike. We all know how important exercise is. Take time to go for a walk in a local park or nature preserve. Besides getting much-needed exercise, you’ll also have a chance to enjoy the great outdoors. Don’t forget to dress for the weather.
When both parents work, it may seem that the children get the short end of the stick. You want to be sure they know they’re loved so you can make the weekends all about the family. These ideas will give you a jumping board for coming up with fun activities to do as a family.